View Single Post
Old 21 Mar 2018, 11:38 (Ref:3809593)   #273
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorritVD View Post
I was thinking. What about a part of PWC GT classes become an off season championship.

F.e.
- The PWC GT championship returns in the normal-style GT Sprint format with around 7-8 events. Events take place from March to September at places like St.Pete, Long Beach, etc.
- The off-season PWC GT championship is the SprintX/Endurance format. Starting in October and ends in February. It starts with the Laguna Seca round with the 8 hours event (GT4 machinary could just race the first few hours), and the seasons ends in February with an event at f.e. CotA.

In this case the normal GT championship reduces costs by less events and not need to transport pit equipment, and in that case could be more attractive. Next to that they could run more with IndyCar events which also makes it more attractive.

As far as I know there isn't currently an off-season championship in North America, and therefore could be interesting. Next to that IMSA teams and teams from Europe could enter in the off-season and do more racing. In that case IMSA could decide to reduce the rounds of GTD a bit. Next to that it would be easier for European teams to combine it with for example the Rolex 24.

I think in the end this would be a win-win situation for PWC, IMSA, IGTC, the teams, the costs, etc.
There are very few places in the US (and none in Canada) were having an off-season race is really very appealing. It's winter. It's cold out. Even Austin in February isn't that great.