View Single Post
Old 29 Oct 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3324907)   #36
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers View Post
i run a business and if i cant make a profit i go broke and close down, thats not anybodies fault but mine and i shouldnt expect people on this forum or anyother taxpayer to save me. Holden got $275mil and said they wouldnt sack anyone, then sacked 500 and asked for another $500mil. Where does it stop? At least Ford went hands up, mind you that is after who knows how many million of dollars. Cut them loose, let them run thier business like the rest of us and whatever will be will be.
I don't think you are comparing apples with apples. I might be wrong, but I suspect your business competes with other local business that have a similar cost structure and wage bill to your business.

Australia's car manufacturers have to compete with international competitors with lower cost structures including massively advantageous wage costs.

There is an immediate cost to taxpayers, but there is a long-term, far reaching benefits for taxpayers as well, including adding to the total number of taxpayers as opposed to adding to the numbers on government benefits. Don't forget that multinational companies in other sectors get subsidies as well, but the media doesn't seem to dwell on that fact.

Every other western country subsidises their car industries in one way or another, often far more than Australia does. The major issue in Australia is the diverse car market we have here.