View Single Post
Old 26 Mar 2017, 01:38 (Ref:3721518)   #283
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Surely Honda Racing in Japan has a 7 post chassis/engine dyno that they could simulate hours of engine running combined with chassis movements. Surely they must have.
I expect they have already done that given it is standard practice and supposedly Honda has significant resources at their F1 center in Japan. Given that the problems seem to be engine vibration issues that are aggravated by driveline vibrations, you have to wonder if they were testing with a 2017 McLaren transmission plus rear suspension or something else that was not fully replicating the real deal, or some other flaw in how they simulated on track running.

I think the problems they are having would not happen with full manufacturers like Mercedes, Ferrari or Renault who are likely doing integration testing early and often. It would be interesting to know how this works between McLaren and Honda.

Regardless they have held it together through qualifying which surprised me. Let's see how it plays out tomorrow. You can find videos of this online, but they have adjusted how upshifts work (they are much slower now) and that is being reported to reduce the introduction of vibrations into the engine. I still tend to feel they will work this out. If they manage to finish one or both cars tomorrow then everyone might be singing a different tune. Imagine if they actually manage to score points!

Richard