newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
My opinion, for what it's worth:

Jenson thought he was going to be kept on - and waited to the last minute to get the renewal. Meaning he never looked at other options seriously - I think we can guess they were Williams and Renault.

He was informed he wasn't going to be kept on - that the Board this time couldn't risk losing Stoffel.

Ron / the Board has cleverly edged Stoffel into the driver PR / Marketing activities - as clearly that's the biggest piece Jenson brings, and Stoffel 12 months ago brought limited PR value.

So, after seeing what happened with Kevin and Sergio - one season McLaren wonders - and with Fernando constantly stating he wants to quit if the new rules don't appeal to him, Jenson / his agent offered this deal-up begrudgingly.

This isn't Jenson nobly deciding to try new things in his life as his first-thought, I'm certain of that - Martin Brundle kept alluding to a similar tone of thought.

What is interesting, is if Fernando quits for 2018 - and Ron gets a shot at another driver he rates more than Jenson...I think that's a scenario that could see Jenson then land at Williams that season...
I dont believe it was too late for Williams, or for that matter, that it is too late even now... Williams have openly complimented him and practicaly offered him the seat even via media, plus I dont see that they have a royal-flush option in place of Massa yet.... I think he could sign for that seat today if he wanted. I