View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3006217)   #1360
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If Sky think that their subscribers are all of a sudden going to skyrocket because they now have F1, they are sorely mistaken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I'm not sure that that's the priority for Sky, as long as people aren't watching the BBC, even if they aren't watching Sky instead, Sky will be happy.
From Sky's own Quarterly figures for the 3 Months up to 30th September Last year, of their 10.2 million customers 3.9 million of those have the HD Package meaning that they will be able to get the F1 channel, there isn't a figure in the report but add to that the number of Sky Sports subscribers who don't have HD. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that the F1 channel would have a reach of half it's subscriber base, and that was before they really started advertising their coverage.

I think Sky will see a modest increase in New subscribers, but how much of that could be directly apportioned to the F1 channel would be difficult to judge.
I do think however that Sky may see a more significant increase in existing customers upgrading to HD but that could actually back fire as there is pretty much constant promotions for customers with older boxes to upgrade free or reduced costs, as such with little immediate profit for Sky.