Thread: 10Ths Icon Getting to know you!
View Single Post
Old 12 Jul 2006, 14:55 (Ref:1654536)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'm Bert my earliest motorsport memory is playing with my corgi JPS lotus (that went on a trailer behind a Lotus Elite!) on the living room floor whilst watching the F1 on TV, first driver I remember is Rene Arnoux in his Renault.

I've got a load of 1:43 models - F1 (fairly random but at least one from most teams of the nineties onwards), Super Tourers, DTM and Group B (the best cars ever ). I also have several slot cars (F1, DTM, Rally) and build 1:24 kits (or would if I ever had enough time - I've got 3 just sitting there waiting to be built!).

I buy MN the week after any decent events have been on, Track and Race if there's something good in there (and if I can find it!) and Autosport on very rare occasions (haven't bought it yet this year).

As far as 'live' motorsport goes - I go to club meetings with a friend who races a Mini and a Metro Cosworth, I co-drive on stage rallies a few times a year (and have marshalled on the local rally too), watch Rallycross at Lydden (and elsewhere if I can) and attend other 'interesting' meetings (so far this year - BTCC, WTCC, DTM, Group C with Rallyday more BTCC and Trucks to come ).

My understanding has increased significantly since getting involved 'hands on' both in terms of the actual mechanicals of how the cars actually work to how much work is involved in getting a car ready to compete. My respect for those who organise events has increased hugely and the same goes for the marshals without whom none of it would be possible (apologies if that last bit sounds like an oscar acceptance speech!)