View Single Post
Old 17 Jun 2017, 09:16 (Ref:3742482)   #19
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
In the Apple Island, Bathurst and Sandown(500 or Hang Ten 400) were always live.
Touring car rounds were a different story, Symmons Plains was always replayed on the Monday night for whatever reason. The other rounds were always delayed and shown late on the Sunday night, but if the Grand Prixs were on, they got moved to Monday or even Tuesday night! The only round shown live might have been the opening round at Calder because it didn't interfere with the footy!
Keep in mind those days TNT 9 was the only commercial station in the north and they received product from both Channel 7 and 9.
VFL football ruled the network, Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon, after South Melbourne became The Sydney Swans.
However we used to get the Better Brakes AMSCAR series from Amaroo Park on a regular basis on Sunday afternoon, from the late 1970's.
A couple of other Tassie memories...

At some stage in the early to mid '80's there must have been a complete abandonment of ATCC broadcasting by TNT9 (in favour of VFL no doubt). To voice my disgust I asked Channel 7 for the cost of supplying a tape post event. I was thinking something along the lines of a hundred or two, but no, their straight faced reply was for many thousands of dollars.

As well as the regular Amaroo AMSCAR coverage in the '70's and '80's there was coverage of Calder events. Both were magic ways to while away a Sunday afternoon.

Locally ABC TV for a number of years ran a live outside broadcast on a Saturday afternoon from Baskerville. They gave up on that for live local footy. Again, that's probably late '70's, well before I found where the track was.