View Single Post
Old 12 Dec 2016, 21:54 (Ref:3695626)   #32
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is all slightly off topic...

For the Speed Channel show, I believe they had the broadcast rights during that period. I wonder if that included some ability for them to have access to the FOM backlog and to create their own shows? And now that they don't have the broadcast rights, I wonder if they couldn't rebroadcast those? It would be interesting for someone who is "in the know" around this stuff post here. But I also assume that generally speaking those contract details and what they can/can't do is not intended to be public knowledge.

Regarding FOM not providing their commentary. I can imagine that makes it difficult for them to publish back catalog events. Of course they could add it in later, but it wouldn't be the same. Who wants to give play by play (including the fun of speculating what will happen next) if you already know the results. I can see them licensing back the entire broadcast from someone (BBC as an example) just to get the live running commentary. Or for the future to do their own live commentary for pay per view for those who don't have access otherwise and then use that for future rebroadcast.

I am a fan of opening up the catalog for something like Youtube and then pulling in revenue via the standard Youtube model. But that may not generate the amount of money FOM wants. Question is... Is the back catalog a profit center or an investiment in the future (give something for new fans to dig into)? I say a bit of both, but they probably don't see it that way.

Richard