View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2001, 15:12 (Ref:73037)   #11
carbonfibre
Rookie

carbonfibre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
21 March 1960

Tomorrow is Ayrton's birthday - he would have been 41 years old. Who knows where his accomplishments would have ended had he not been take on that black day in May?

Donington '93 may have been diminished in Ayrton's mind because of the electronic goodies on the car, but he still had to get the job done there, and he did. It will always be a treat to pop that tape in the vcr and watch that race. The Estoril '85 race was major in his career, of course. His first pole and first win, in his second race for Lotus. No wonder he cherished that memory, especially considering the conditions.

Yes, Senna campaigned "like a terrorist" to get the Williams seat in 1994. He offered to drive for Frank in 1993 for free, but Alain Prost campaigned like a terrorist to keep Senna out of the team then, as Prost had approval rights for his subserviant driver, er, co-driver.

Ayrton Senna will forever be remembered by me for the excitement he brought to F1. I am very grateful I was able to be a witness to that era in F1, and that I was able to see him race in person several times before he left us.

While remembering Ayrton Senna, let us also remember Roland Ratzenberger lost the same weekend at Imola.