View Single Post
Old 4 Oct 2017, 18:50 (Ref:3771847)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think there is a bit of confusion in the articles not least because they don't explain what is available to the National Rights holders/broadcasters.

No one other than FOM is allowed to film Live track action with their own cameras. The most they can do is film in the pits at certain times such as during Free Practices and when the pit lane opens Pre race.

So the term OTT relates to On The Track action. Whilst many broadcasters are happy to take the OTT World feed, some do want to supplement this or even provide alternative coverage of their own.

The most obvious version of this that I've come across is in Golf at The Open (the British Open as some American's refer to it), where there is jointly produced (Host Broadcaster/European Tour) world feed, from which a separate feed for the UK is carved. But the US network that is covering it sets up their own cameras and covers the entire event independently of the word feed.

So getting back to F1, my read is that, the sticking point with the US networks was that they were wanting to set up track cameras at all events or perhaps provide the World feed at the US event themselves (as Monaco).

In terms of the not paying a rights fee, National broadcasters that want to present their programmes from the venues pay an additional fee, than those who only want the OTT. These will have an agreement with another national broadcaster who is on site for commentary and possibly access to interviews etc.

As such, I'm taking what's in that article to mean that ESPN aren't paying the extra to have their full OB production crew to host shows on-site. That the shows will be hosted from the US, going to the World feed at the 5 minute sting, and then back to the studio. They may have a single camera setup for interviews that can be sent back to the US on the media centre uplinks.

I could be very wrong, but that's my take on what Ive read.