Thread: HRDC Raceday
View Single Post
Old 8 Oct 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3148044)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Well, after a front brake rebuild on Thu/Fri, move the seat back and general service, I was just about to load on Sat AM when I noticed my extinguisher was out of date! cue mini panic and hooning around in Justines A class trying to find one locally . . . traction controls pants isn't it, how can you press on in the wet with FWD?

we arrived to sunshine on Saturday afternoon and got a patch down by the lake, a nice setting for a BBQ and natter, although the evenings are drawing in now so it was dark by the time we ate and getting a little chilly . . . I think we all turned in a little after 9!

7am Sunday at it was thick fog, signed on and scrutineered by a little after 8 and there was no sign of it clearing, although there was the odd glimmer . . . by 9am it had lifted enough to let us out for the first test session. Having never raced at Mallory ( I did ten laps in 2005 on a track day) I went out last to have a look, and bed in new pads . . . fortunately they came good after 3 or 4 laps and I did a few warm laps, only problem was a bit of oil surge.

oil topped up!, brakes and tyres checked, we went out to qualify, with a relatively short lap it was nearly always busy, I backed off a few times to try and find a gap for a flyer, but, after being overtaken under what I thought was a yellow I never got a 2nd chance at a clear lap. never mind, its only practice and its a 45 minute race. I was pleasantly suprised by 3rd, and a little annoyed to have been pipped to the front row by Alistairs Cortina by 0.08s!

I lined up to race on the front row as a cracked fuel tank rendered THe Dyson Cortina unfit. It was about time I got the hang of the race clutch at starts, and for once I did. away, and a nose ahead of the Jag into Gerrards (which is different, and great fun every time!) looking at the pit boards from THe Webb/Reid Jag I seemed to be gaining about 0.5s a lap. I figured it was comfortable to maintain the pace and I'd need it because Reid (driving the jag later) was 1s quicker in qualifying. my pit stop was average, then delayed because the engine wouldn't restart . . . eventually a few people started pushing ( thanks) and I Bumped back into life, and away . . . I think I lost about 20 seconds, although it seemed like half an hour! I had no idea where I was as there was nothing in front or behind. (I haven't seen the results yet, if anyone has a copy???) but after 5 or 6 laps I did see a Jag in front . . . well you've got to go for it, so I started trying to catch it, I was slowly reeling it in but not convincingly, and then the oil pressure gauge started wandering a little in Gerrards, from 60-40 then back up . . and through the Esses it was worse. I managed that by trying to take a different line and a lighter throttle, which seemed to work. Threading past back markers a little more efficiently I managed to gain a lot on the Jag in 1 lap, then a dive up the inside of the hairpin, a switch back at devils elbow and a drag race to Gerrards . . . I had to brake later as we were side by side, it was a bit late, and a bit wide etc but I made it. I didn't know, but that was for the lead as the Reid Jag suffered a puncture. THereafter I got clear and finished the last 2 laps untroubled. I think the Dorlin Jag suffered from low fuel on the last lap, which helped as I was light footing it through Gerrards and the esses and had a few flashes of oil light. ( I know the sumps a weak point on this engine, foam baffling was a temporary measure and marginal at that. and Gerrards at however fast on opposite lock does require you to look out of the windows, not at the gauges!)

Anyway, a suprise to win, a fantastic end to the season, and being down in the dumps with all the grief on Sat morning thinking I was tired and skint etc etc, it really was and is worth all the effort. Its bloody hard work up the squirty end, the car needs constant fettling and everything wears out very quickly . . . I just look at stuff and think, If I don't do this, or that, its a DNF, or worse, an accident waiting to happen.

Its been a great season, for many more resons than just a win . . . I only hope myself and others spread the word that the HRDC is mighty fine good clean family fun.

A special mention to Ed Glaister, a top man in every respect, and a very well deserved award from Julius. really looking forward to next season already!

Last edited by zefarelly; 8 Oct 2012 at 08:47.