View Single Post
Old 14 Jul 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3277703)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i haven't been for a few years, but personally i prefer it to le mans (sorry, guys ). it's a smaller event as you say, a lot less "glamour" and a lot more about the racing though there is a decent amount of beer too . there is no lighting on the infield, but walking around the circuit is totally magical for that very reason. if seeing sunrise at dunlop is the essential le mans experience, i would say sunset sat at the top of eau rouge is the spa one.

i can't advise on parking or the camping though iirc the only option is the local paid parking in various backyards or if you turn left at the hotel/restaurant before the roundabout at the top of la source, and i'm sure the grandstands were free. if you're literally just going for the race i'd not bother with a campsite to be honest unless you're really planning to sleep. take a decent torch, and try and cater for yourself rather than rely on circuit catering. it's a huge ball ache now with having to buy tokens to redeem at burger and chip vans.

the paddock pass is helpful, imo a lot of the atmosphere is there where the new and old pits are rather than in the spectator area behind the old start/finish line.

so er, yeah, no real practical information but hopefully someone will be along soon with some more recent ideas! the event website is righteously crap, you're totally right :/