View Single Post
Old 25 Mar 2003, 09:59 (Ref:547247)   #4
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Part of the problem was the grids where the cars were too close together. This was probably my fault. When it became obvious that the hatches were not getting off the line as quick as the rods, then we spaced them out a lot more. I think the finals showed how it could/should have been done.
I spoke to Roy Eaton at some length and he was also concerned about the contact and hoped that the hatch guys would not be put off. He has offered to send some extra prizes to everyone. We have learnt lessons, hopefully not at the expense to too many drivers. Interestingly, Roy Gravestock finished third overall over the two legs and thoroughly enjoyed himself as did Julian Godfrey who almost won the A final. I thought Stuart Emery showed great character and he should have won the B final, but he genuinely won the best stock hatch performance on the night. The crowd on the night was about 3000 and they did give the hatch boys a good reception on the lap of honour...it was a pity Arthur Debenham could not be their to "support" the rallycrossers and give some of his banter.The programme and Short Circuit magazine gave us good publicity and two of the so called lesser formule did get some limelight, as shown in lasts weeks Motorsport News. The whole idea was to promote something different and try to get a new concept going. The mistakes will be discussed and as I said lessons have been learnt. Finally a big thank you to everyone involved especially the drivers and teams. (p.s. at least the entry fee was only £15)