View Single Post
Old 29 Jan 2017, 10:24 (Ref:3706825)   #254
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
A Polo with WRC arches look good anyway. But a bit of marketing talk he preferred transverse layouts as he could have build the DS3 transverse too if that's true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
True. Made me wonder about it too.

He did use UNIC transmissions though and they don't make transmissions for transverse engines. Their stuff is quite reliable, cheap compared to other transmissions I guess and their headquarters is in Säffle, not far from Torsby. The guy in charge used to work in a WRC team I believe.
The interview with Pernilla Solberg in the Racecar Engineering special (in 2014) covered the subject of transverse layouts, and she mentioned then that it restricted them in terms of transmission options: and that going inline enabled them to use UNIC.

PSRX used a lot of "local" suppliers. I wonder if that will be the case with the Polo?

Aside from the issue of finding a transmission that is up to the job (which doesn't seem to be a problem based on the number of teams who are transverse now), going transverse seems to be better all around.