View Single Post
Old 7 May 2017, 11:51 (Ref:3731917)   #37
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I'm with 155 all the way here, it's always been ridiculous i've thought to link the two, in reality very different, events.

Given the effort AVESCO at the time went to to get away from the traditional event, it's amazing the efforts that have gone on in the last 10-15 years to link them both. There is $$$ in "heritage" these days though....even if it's not yours.

That doesn't make it the same race, just means there were common entrants.

The opening passage in the Chevron's 1997 "The Great Race" annual sums the whole thing up quite well.

It should be pointed out that in 1997 Peter Brock said he couldn't win his tenth in that years V8 enduro, and Tony Cochrane was even quoted at one point saying that their Bathurst was developing their own traditions for their own race.

You do realise it wasn't an "ARDC run event" at that time? It was a "Bathurst Event Management" event, that consisted of a three way partnership between the ARDC, Channel 7 and Bathurst City Council. The race didn't always have that ownership arrangement, but the three had worked together for that event since 1963, so the ARDC run event being poison is quite a laughable quote.

The council backing the V8 event, while retaining their interest in the traditional race, was more to do with the council doing what it should do, putting the region first. A second race, which was always going to attract big numbers, would benefit the town and the businesses. That had to come first.

What was the poor performance?

What do you think BEM should have done to avoid AVESCO going off and doing their own thing?

sorry, got lost. Are you/or were you a member of the ARDC?

Sorry i will trust Bill Tuckey on this one in The official history of The Great Race Bathurst : 50 years.

Check