View Single Post
Old 17 Jun 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2900869)   #134
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Wow, with the kind of funding promoting this idea, I can see how it got this far.

The extended front wheelbase compensates for the narrowing of the front track. Firestone actually put together tires for the windtunnel by modifying existing molds to make the new tires. That worked for the tunnel apparently, but those tires were not designed as they were for side loading I don't believe. Who is going to build the tires for the delta thing?

Use of REAMS, design concepts proven only in theory, need for specialized tires (if only on the front), there are a lot of things that need to happen in a very short time here. The Aston P1 has proven thus far to be a total dud, and attention and blame seems to be focused on the severely shortened timeline to get that car running, and it used current technology pretty much across the board, just packaged in slightly different ways-and it is not working.

Certainly a car using quick recharge battery or whatever technology, or fuel cells would face many of the same daunting developmental challenges, but would seemingly be developing technology that is marketable in the industry. Heck, put REAMS use on their briefs.

No, I do not like the looks of the delta thing, but I have to admit to being fascinated. I don't want it in sportscar racing, but, I would like to see it run. There are proving grounds for that and plenty of video and print outlets for the results.