View Single Post
Old 6 Feb 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2122286)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner

[6) There are two, possibly three, replica 214s based on DB4 & 4GT componentry and therefore what I choose to designate DB4GT/214R, in the absence of any other consistent labelling of them. The first, initially claiming (wrongly) to be built up from some parts of the crashed 214/0195/R, commissioned by Ken Lawrence with a body built by Shapecraft, using the surviving 214 as a template. What I am not sure yet is whether this is the car currently owned by Wolfgang Friedrichs and which has a rather splendid record in the Spa 6 hours of two overall seconds (2004 & 2006) and an overall victory (2005), or whether Friedrichs had this built to save using 212 which he also owns. Our member, Simon Hadfield may be able to tell us, as he has co-driven this car with the owner and Clark, at Spa. There is certainly another in the UK owned, I believe, by Martin Brewer, since I saw this car at Snetterton last year, and, I understand that its construction was only completed last year.
Right, I can confirm that there are two known replicas.

The car owned by Wolfgang Friedrichs is the Ken Lawrence car mentioned above and has been with us for many years. For my own purposes I designate this DB4GT/214/R1.

The second car is the much more recently built car for Martin Brewer, but build was apparently started (according to the AMOC) alongside the above car. It was built up using DB4/559/L as the basis. Completed in 2005, it was given the registration no DSL 449, but as I understand it has been re-registered since as 5 BVY so that it closely resembles that accorded to the surviving original car. This was the car that appeared at the 2007 Le Mans Legends race on 16 June. I will call this DB4GT/214/R2.