Thread: IMSA DPi Discussion
View Single Post
Old 21 Mar 2016, 22:44 (Ref:3625750)   #74
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
He's talking about gen 1 DPs, which originally had to use headlights, tail lights, and side mirrors from a production car (this made some degree of sense at the time as it's basically what the 911 GT1-98 did). The mirror requirement went first for safety reasons and eventually the lights got dropped because a Focus headlight turned 90 degrees sideways to fit on a Multimatic didn't accomplish much of anything. Gen 3s were supposed to be all as distinct as the Corvette DP but it turns out nobody was really interested.

Works just fine for pretty much everyone but Toyota. There's a reason Honda keeps threatening to bring out the ARX-04 again.
...because you reminded me of that, the whole class needs to get a queasy feeling now.

Also, I don't think there was a requirement for headlights, etc off a road car for the first generation DP's. The only one I can remember that actually had road car lights was the Multimatic. The Fabcar-Porsche had headlight openings that vaguely mimicked the 996 911, but everything else was fairly "normal" prototype fare, especially the Doran JE4, which I think looks amazing with a big wing on it. That one had the most "GTP/GT1" look do the original crop.

That and the Fabcar-Toyota had pretty good looks as well(also with Celica shaped headlights, but not actual units).