View Single Post
Old 25 Feb 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2137475)   #36
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
the engine size debate was voted backwards in 2003 at a committee meeting I attended, a meeting mostly attended by Anglia and Alfa owners !!!

I think most lasting and drivable Ford Lotus TC engines run nearer 165-170 BHP rather than 180. you need some torque with a Cortina, its a bit heavier than a 23b/Merlyn MK7 !

either way the power to weight ratio is similar for many cars in HRSR/FiA spec, I still think its ludicrous to chop up the car, remove all its period appearance, swathe it in Plastic so it looks crap then add a load of ballast! but thats just my opinion.

the big difference is that HRSR regs allow virtually totally free engine spec, materials, internal geometry, component weight etc, therefore one can utilise the very latest technology and performance gains that go with it, lightweight pistons, H section Rods, NJ cranks, ally flywheels etc etc, more revs, more power, more reliability. therefore they argue they need the brakes, fair enough, maybe they do, but if they insisted on period correct spec, even if not FiA then costs would drop massively to be mildly competitive, therefore most likely appealing to many more entrants, many of which already have such cars.

whether most FiA cars are legal or not is another matter, there isn't an FiA series with any eligibility scrutineering, therefore one might and can legitimately argue the HRSR series is the best of the bunch as at least they enforce their regs !!!

we've said all this before anyway and I'm sure I'm not exactly Mr POpular with some of the HRSR I'm still seriously thinking of racing with HRSR again this season, I've rejoined the HSCC already . . .

and I still havent EVER got a reply to my original question

How can you justify running a pre66 saloon series to post 66 Group 5 regs ?

my guess is its a hangover from the ICS days and anything goes 70's/80's spec racing before the cars where considered 'historic'