Thread: IMSA DPi Discussion
View Single Post
Old 25 Mar 2016, 00:26 (Ref:3626935)   #152
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
If you are a team owner or manufacturer, would you like to have sponsors like these kid geniuses from across America had? This was back in 1999 but this caliber of sponsors is what is needed. You get the kid geniuses in the universities interested in your sport (if it is technologically relevant) and the sponsors will follow.
Depends how much those sponsors are willing to spend, eh? I am pretty sure (having read about the solar-powered races every year since then) that none of those cars cost nearly as much as the tires for one IMSA sprint race weekend.

I haven't heard about Microsoft sponsoring anybody except Level 5 (and how is That for irony?) Also ... some of those "sponsors" probably got to deduct their "sponsorship" which I don't think happens much in motor racing.

Also ... how many of those sponsors are currently funding a WEC car, hybrid or not?

I really don't think IMSA would have survived from then until now if it had switched its formula to single-seat, bicycle-tired solar-powered car which topped out at 55 mph ... and Sebring wouldn't have happened this year because it was overcast when it wasn't raining when it wasn't night.