View Single Post
Old 6 Nov 2020, 15:51 (Ref:4015202)   #81
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone knows or have some old articule where there was provisional list of wtc cup 96 and what was the selected track?

In italian superturismo 1996 i heard the commentator talking about A1 RING as track and that only some audi's drivers and Alfa romeo with Giovanardi wanted to partecipate.

Second Question: Why after missing 1996 world cup, the FIA didn't try to make a world cup in 1997? in that year BTCC was won by Alain Menu with Renault, STW was won by Laurent Aiello with Peugeot and Italian Superturismo was won by Emanuele Naspetti with BMW. The 3 main championship had 3 different winners.

In 1996 i could understand that drivers and teams thought that Audi was too strong to beat having won 7 different championship in the same year.

Altought i was an Audi fan i think that Audi in 96 was not unbeatable but it was driven by Excelent drivers like Biela, Pirro and Capello who rarely made mistakes and/or DNF.
For example:
in italian Superturismo BMW won 11 races and Audi just 7 and Alfa Romeo 2.
in BTCC Audi won 8 races, BMW 5, Volvo 5, Renault 4, Honda 3, Opel 1,.
in STW Audi won 10 races, BMW 3, Peugeot 3, Honda 2.

The main difference was that in Italian Supeturismo Capello had just one DSQ and took points in 19 on 20 races.
In STW Pirro took points in all 18 races.
in BTCC Biela took points in 24 on 26 races.

what do you think about it?