Thread: Matos to IPS?
View Single Post
Old 22 Jan 2008, 05:09 (Ref:2111021)   #83
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
D.R.T., I think they might as well have made it $5 million if a team was going to ask the driver for another $200,000, no pay and no travel expenses.

I think most understood what the $2 million was for. I think they're shocked the teams asked for more from the driver. They must be hurtin' far more than we know. And if it's true that the team they wanted to put him with was Rocketsports, with all the deals that have gone sour with Gentilozzi, why would anyone even THINK about it?
I've heard a lot of other stories that have leaked about matos attitude and negotiating for more than teams wanted to provide. Whether true? I don't know. I do know of a particular talented driver recently in and around champcar that because of attitude problems, no one wanted to work with him. I think he's bopping around sportscars now. So I am leaving open the possibility that other factors came into play.

I too would be inclined not to deal with Gentilozzi. It is apparent now that other teams including Walker were negotiating for matos services. But when the AGR deal came along he jumped at it and personally I don't blame him. He has to do what he thinks right for his career.

Ultimately, this becomes a non issue. It was a prize there to assist him, he didn't make use of it, all well not much else that can be done.