View Single Post
Old 26 Dec 2006, 19:27 (Ref:1799498)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I believe it is differenty ways of achiving the same or nearly the same results.

Unforuntily your listing of the Audi engine was UNrestricted. Restricted as in current race confiurations is about 520 bhp not 620.

The Panoz 6 liter Ford V8 you list is restricted race trim 620 bhp not the unrestricted 700 bhp.

The Judd engine I do not know about.

And the Corvette LS7.r 7 liter V8 is restricted race trim apporx 580 bhp not the 900 bhp unrestriced.

That being said, yes tubo charged engines do get into the power band quicker as there is greater airflow from the turbos.

If the ACO did not have the air restrictors and the lap time constrictions for each class, which cars would be the fastest? assuming same engine size.

This is just my guess

LMP1 cars would still be the quickest lap times, with LMP2 cars right behind and not by much. Not taking into account the new Porsche spyder.

Staight line speed, GT1 cars with the big engines.

A big part of the engine size and air restrictors was to keep saftey in mind. Rember the speeds on the Mulsanne straight before the esses were added?

Trap speeds: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/maxspeed.htm
In 2002 the Audi R8 reportedly had 670bhp. The restrictors of the time were the same size current P1's use.

The current Judd should be around 640-650bhp, an AER/Cosworth turbo 650bhp+.

An unrestricted R8 engine would put out 1000bhp+, just like the Nissan an Toyota Group C engines in qualifying spec, 15 years ago!