View Single Post
Old 15 Nov 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3780625)   #5255
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
You keep talking about "made out to be". I'm not talking about what S365 says - I'm talking about actual manufacturers represented. DPi is the most popular right now.
Except it's not. It's just a class that happened to be the only suitable place for a few specific manufacturers - that's not popularity, that's convenience.

And by your measure, LMP1 is only looking to be one manufacturer down compared to IMSA in 2018(Toyota, Ginetta, ByKolles). So yes, the popularity of DPi is being overstated even by you. (though the death of the ByKolles is looking possible at this point, for now it should be assumed they're joining since nothing's confirmed)

When you refer to DPi as being popular, you imply that it has some massive level of interest that makes it inherently superior to other classes. This is simply not the case.

Quote:
Lowest is 2. It's now at 2. That's a record.
No, a RECORD would be if there were FEWER manufacturers than they've ever had before.

Quote:
GT3 is popular because it's a profit centre. Cars can be sold for a profit to customer and private entries. Series and classes don't become popular because engineers like a challenge.
Yes, the class is popular because they can sell cars to make a lot of money, but the profits are nothing like you probably think - too much money is spent on developing those cars.

All those development costs despite the class being built entirely around BoP. Why is that? It's because the class still has room to do so. If it was all about profits, GT3 cars would still be little different than when the class first started.

Engineers like a challenge. GT3 provides that challenge while also being

Quote:
If we're going the BoP route (which I'd rather not have), I see no valid reason to not use DPi. If we're not going the BoP route, then DPi doesn't really work.
If doesn't matter if there's BoP or not. If it's not what the manufacturers want, there is ZERO point in using the class for LMP1. IF the manufacturers aren't interested in DPi, then using DPi for LMP1 will be little better than continuing LMP1-H.