View Single Post
Old 24 Sep 2015, 19:34 (Ref:3576744)   #23
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Does the average car buyer really care?

The faked results don't in any way impact the way the car drives - the consumer will not notice the difference between a car with the dodgy software and one without (I don't understand the recall of the cars for updates - it's going to make no difference to the owners).

Will anybody have bought one of the effected cars based on the emissions test results? Seems highly unlikely to me. If you're that bothered about emissions you buy a Prius (and ignore the environmental mess involved in the construction of those - but that's another story).

As far as I can see a large company has been caught cheating a government test - there's nothing to really worry the consumer. It's a test dodge rather than a fundamental safety flaw - I can't see how that's going to dent consumer confidence. If it does and the price of VW's falls through the floor I'll be straight out to bag myself a bargain.
Mercedes, BMW and Chevrolet all required the use of Urea (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) to reduce NOx levels to pass US emissions tests. VW said it's engine mapping scheme was good enough to meet "clean diesel" levels without the addition of DEF.

Now we know that they were gaming the system and those 11 million vehicles will either require a permanent software fix which will reduce engine power or the addition of a DEF system to maintain current output levels.

These cars probably lost about 20-30% of their resale value over night - so yes customers are going to care.