View Single Post
Old 2 Nov 2017, 08:48 (Ref:3778135)   #107
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
There's a piece on Pitpass where they've added up the grid penalties for 2017 so far and for power unit related penalties (not driver infringements) the totals are...

Mercedes power units - 25 places (3 teams)
Ferrari power units - 60 places (3 teams)
Renault power units - 290 places (3 teams)
Honda power units - 390 places (1 team!)

For comparison, there's only 400 grid places over the whole 2017 championship.
Whether drivers pick up 25, 55 or even 1,000 place grid penalties is irrelevant. What really matters is how many places they lose compared to their qualifying position.

I also question the validity of the source data - at which events did Ferrari and Mercedes powered cars pick up so many grid penalties???

In that case, the positions lost due to PU changes are as follows:

Honda (69 total)
Vandoorne 28
Button 11
Alonso 30

Renault (62 total)
Kvyat 2
Verstappen 21
Ricciardo 22
Hulkenberg 2
Palmer 4
Sainz Jr 4