View Single Post
Old 21 Sep 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3306969)   #279
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
...happens in many series all over the world each season, where they don't change drivers in the middle of the races.

It just would make more sense if the entry (team) is the championship bet, and if they change it, then the driver starts from zero.

In addition might as well as rant about the WEC P1 Drivers' Championship: that nonsensical thing that the points get awarded based on overall positions. I wonder what P2 or GT drivers think about their chances of winning it?
I think this starts to talk to the reasons why historically the teams or manufacturers title has been seen as more significant than the drivers title in sportscar racing.

Thinking back to the classic years in the 1980s, drivers ferreting around for drives in various drivers championship points paying rounds was pretty commonplace (e.g. Henri Pescarolo primarily driving for Rondeau in 1982, but also showing up in a Joest 936C at Mugello).

I'm also not sure why the sort of journeyman driver who may well drive for multiple teams over the course of a season should be penalised in drivers championship terms?