View Single Post
Old 11 Oct 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3773676)   #3151
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Midland Bank Milsom Street, that was the one at the top want it? It's now a Loch Fyne fish restaurant. Nat West is a trendy wine bar. Barclays has closed too.

It was a fascinating place to work. Not because of the job itself which was deadly dull, but I was sometimes required to go into the cellars and find the deeds of buildings, paperwork which often stretched back to the Georgian period. Interesting to a frustrated historian such as me. And the building itself was a fine multi-storied Georgian place.

Happy days? Not quite, I couldn't wait to leave but probably the last time I had a regular job - I left in 1984!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
From memory Midland was about 1/3 of the way down the street but that was probably more or less the top as far as commercial properties for the likes of Banks were concerned.

ETA: Well, streetview tells me I am wrong and it's about 2/3 of the way down. Milsom Street used to be a proper street in those days. Looks rubbish now on Streetview.

The bowels of the old and usually purpose built banks were and still can be rather interesting.

Management has recently taken the retirement option when they closed the branch here. Not working in the place and not having to go down to the vaults several times a day seems to have improved her health somewhat and her general demeanour quite a lot.

Last edited by grantp; 11 Oct 2017 at 13:38. Reason: Correction