View Single Post
Old 7 May 2012, 23:31 (Ref:3070918)   #5
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Strange subject, but bear with me.

Not long after the channel appeared in the UK, they were showing lots of top-level series from around the world, such as WRC, V8 Supercars, BTCC, DTM and more, some live. I gather the costs of doing outside broadcasts was astronomical (like the day-long BTCC coverage which continues to this day on ITV4), so they pulled the plug.

But how can they make money broadcasting things like one-make French coupes, Aussie Legend-style racing, random backwater USA motocross etc here in the UK?
Don't be fooled, I don't think Motors TV have ever had the capability of filming something of the scale of BTCC or DTM.
Their attempts to film French national racing seem to be to send one camera to the corner closest to the paddock and maybe find a couple of on-boards and slap that together.

Back then I think ITV were using Motors as a test to see if there was any market for an all day event before they had their extra channels up and running themselves.
As to the other championships they show, I think they target championships that already have TV coverage and internet streaming and offer to broadcast it for peanuts as it's exposure for them.

And you know, this comes from a fan!