View Single Post
Old 17 Jun 2011, 19:02 (Ref:2901086)   #5
NJH
Racer

United Kingdom
Weymouth
NJH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have iRacing, rFactor and Live For Speed (LFS) at home, pretty much the 3 big well known sim racing games these days if one ignores netKar.

My personal preference and I believe the most realistic is iRacing but all of them have their strengths and weaknesses.

iRacing is expensive, isn't modifiable and has a limited number of tracks and cars. It is also somewhat US centric.

LFS is cheap, the cars handling qualities are fun but the cars and tracks aren't real.

rFactor is IMHO the weakest of the 3 in terms of driving realism, it has an infamous unrecoverable oversteer or understeer tendency in its handling and all the cars seem to handle the same regardless of layout. It is however cheap and very easy to mod such as creating a car like your own out of a base model. You also get pretty much every track in the world for free.

I use rFactor to drive a model of my real car and iRacing for fun or to explore different cars or the limited tracks they have. Brands Hatch and Spa for example are superb but we are still waiting to get Oulton Park.

Once you get in to them all the sims have their quirks which can be really annoying. The braking in iRacing for example is a complete PITA, I find it far easier to repeatedly meter out my braking in real life than I do in that thing and yet I have a proper load cell brake peddle setup adjusted to suit.

The vast majority of club racers that I know of don't do sims but that doesn't mean anything at all.