View Single Post
Old 1 Feb 2018, 11:06 (Ref:3797406)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 27 View Post
Agree totally, both sublime, both fully deserving of a top line Grand Prix seat, but that's where the similarity ends.
Tommy was the first to tell anyone how good he was, Jan was definitely quieter.
Where Tommy caused his own downfall, I firmly believe that JYS, having once held him in such high regard, single handedly ruined Jan’s future as an F1 driver. I read that in 98, Jackie took Jan (and later Jos) to Oulton Park, to show them how they should be doing it, only a mere 25 years since he himself had driven a GP car competitively..
Yeah, JYS did that with all his drivers apparently, Herbert and Rubens have mentioned it.

Makes you wonder. If he felt they were good enough to drive for him, why the need to patronise them like that? I wonder how he sold it to them???

"Nowww then Jaaan, the aim of the exercise is to drive sooooo precisely and smoooothly that the cup of water on the bonnet of the car doesn't spill"