View Single Post
Old 18 Feb 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2399528)   #154
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH
From an Autosport sales advert on October 7, 1982 Gordon Spice Racing offers four Capris for sale: 1 being Spice's 1982 car (presumably build in 1982), 1 being the Rouse 1982 car, build in 1981 it says, while a spare car without any date of build is a third Group 1 car. Finally the TT Group A car, without engine, is offered.

With Spice supplying vintage for at least the Rouse car there ought to be a few "missing" chassis' here - that if is the Spicer cars were CC products, as I'm not aware of this.
Yes i'm pretty sure all of Gordon Spice's cars were built by CC. The possible difference may come as to actually ran them afterwards, as Spice had a pretty high profile Team Manager in Keith Greene during the latter seasons of Group 1. I also have a logical suspicion that in addition to the Grp A 'hack' the 'spare car from that advert might also have been a Belga Spa chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH
Also had a look at the Autosport TT report that says the Vince Woodman car in the race was his spare car rigged up for Group A.
Another sales add from the fall, tells of the Capri that finished 19th in the TT is for sale having only done another two races. Checking on the results this was the Barry Barnes/David Mercer entry - Stuart McCrudden was supposed to have driven this car in the TT.

Jesper
I've also got that Autosport report but completely missed the Woodman spare car passage Jesper, so thanks for pointing it out! I'm guessing that the spare car was the one Vince and Jonathan Buncombe used sometimes as back up in the Tricentrol series and could possibly be CC15.

What we can be pretty sure of is that as the spare Woodman car was driven by Buncombe at the final round of the '82 BTCC, CC would have had about a month to put the car back to Group 1 spec after the TT!

That Barnes/Mercer car is interesting. Barnes was a Modsaloon regular in the 80's and ran all sorts of Capris and Bee-ems. I wonder whether he hired this car from an exisiting Group 1 Capri owner for the weekend in some kind of deal with Mercer who always had pretty good sponsorship in everything he did IIRC. The possible involvement of McCrudden who was a senior Ford employee a the time I think would've made it easier to source a car I suppose. Stuart sometimes posts about TGP F1 so we should ask him if he remembers!!

Last edited by chunterer; 18 Feb 2009 at 09:53.