View Single Post
Old 21 Sep 2011, 01:39 (Ref:2958873)   #58
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Well, I'm not sure what you're referring to "hispanic culture", Brazil is not hispanic, never was, and never made part of hispanic culture as a whole. As for influences, I read he's influences from his italian ancestry, nothing that I can remember of being jew or related to Judaism.
And, yeah, all brazilians are mixed, there are no "pure" brazilians as Brazil is a country essencially made by immigrants.
You see, this is where I run into problems even with the term 'mixed race', very few people in the world today are pure Brazilian/German/British/American etc. Down the line, we are all related to other races, in effect we're all mixed race even if it isn't obvious to the naked eye.
I can see why people wish to feel proud of a certain race or feel as if they belong to it as part of the identity but I do not understand the idea that some races may or not be better than others.
Brazil is not a lone example, the same can quite easily be said for the Americans, Canadians and in particular the Australians. Even here in the U.K there is certainly still underlying differences between the Welsh, Irish and Scotish due to Celtic ancestry and the English with their Anglo-Saxon heritage. Although thankfully, most of the time its good humoured banter but I think there are certainly deep diferences between the two.

My point is more of one of, does it really matter? I almost find the fact that people celebrate the fact that Hamiton as 'the first Mixed Race driver' slightly wrong (whether he is/was or not). Yeah, its brilliant that we now live in a diverse world that (mostly) tolerates other cultures but at the same time, isn't it something that we're coming to expect? Is Formula One somewhat behind the times when it comes to ethnic diversity and only just catching up?

Last edited by beau1; 21 Sep 2011 at 01:53.