View Single Post
Old 12 Feb 2000, 02:24 (Ref:6884)   #19
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Joe, you have been following tony Stewart and IROC a lot longer than I have, so I will assume that you know a lot more about them than I do.

After a year of testing, and given a competitive car, you may be right he might be able to challenge for the WDC. But I will have to disagree with your statement that the talent required in NASCAR would transfer quite well to F1. I have not driven either for real. But from my experiences playing GP2 (I'm still adicted) and NASCAR 2, and what I have heard from drivers, F1 cars drive completely differently from NASCARS.

F1 cars require a soft gentle touch, a lot of opposite lock, and if you make a mistake you will almost certainly end up in a gravel trap. Stock cars require a lot less opposite lock and a lot more wheel turning. Plus you usually have a second chance to get the car back if the rear becomes loose.

You have said it yourself Joe many times, don't mix apples and oranges. They are too different. Driving a heavy stock car on a road course is a lot different than driving a "high-downforce open-wheel car."

I don't know that much about Tony Stewart, but has he ever raced an open-wheeler on road courses?

And how many drivers (other than Mario) have had success in both F1 and NASCAR. They just don't mix!