View Single Post
Old 3 Sep 2017, 13:44 (Ref:3764068)   #394
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The FIA/ACO had six years to create a stable championship. Six years to build a proper foundation and a sustainable structure that didn't need to rely on manufacturers. Every new championship needs stability and especially more so for a world championship. But that never happened. We all knew that if the manufacturers left, this championship would be in serious trouble because they have nothing else to fall back on. And it has actually happened. Privateer P1 may save this championship or it might be a classic case of too little too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariantic View Post
So, I buy one of those nice Ginetta LMP1s for 2018.

I get a test day then I can race it twice.

Then 3 months off, some on a boat to Japan.

I get two more races, then the car is in China with another 3 months off during which WEC will transport it to TBC and on to Sebring.

Then in May back in Europe, a clean down and ready to do it all again...

Not sure I'd find this a compelling programme. Shame, because until now I've seen privateer LMP1 as the future.

Not sure I see a future at all now.

Mariantic
If the privateer P1s prove to be reliable, your car has a shot at winning Le Mans overall. That's pretty compelling I think. And most/all P1 teams should continue after Le Mans just to get more experience with the cars in preparation for Le Mans 2019. Le Mans 2018 might only have 4 or 5 P1 entries but that number will surely increase in 2019, especially if Toyota don't return.

However, if all the privateer P1s fail to finish at Le Mans 2018 and no real improvement is shown by Sebring 2019, it's better to just go with a P2 for Le Mans 2019, especially if Toyota don't return. At that point, the ACO is in a hole. Keep P1 and hope it gets better/hope the manufacturers return or just scrap it and rely on P2? It's a messy situation.