View Single Post
Old 29 Feb 2024, 09:43 (Ref:4198802)   #57
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I'm a realist that's hoping for a cool redemption story.

But that rarely happens in F1. I can't think of many drivers that have hit rock bottom and come back to (relative) glory, or even rehabilitated their damaged reputation?

Gasly, Albon and Vettel are sort of there or thereabouts as recent examples I guess.
Gasly and Albon were very young and inexperienced and, and i don't think can be compared with the vastly experienced Ricciardo.

Vettel is perhaps more comparable. He went off the boil towards the end at RBR, then seemingly regained some of his form initially at Ferrari before crashing at Hockenheim in 2018 and (in my opinion) was never really the same again. I don't read much into his Aston Martin years alongside Stroll.

I like Ricciardo, but it would be a big surprise to me if he was deemed more deserving of an RBR seat than some other drivers who might be available for next year - Sainz for example. But the 2 RB teams have done some very weird things with their choice of drivers before, so who knows.