View Single Post
Old 4 Oct 2017, 17:20 (Ref:3771824)   #5
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Richard, like so much in the world of F1, a great amount of it is convoluted and opaque. This was how BCE liked it, because he could take advantage of the fact that no one else knew what other entities were entitled to or getting. No reason why the broadcasting deals would be any different, and it would seem as though Liberty are continuing the legacy.

I believe that broadcasting deals were independently negotiated for different territories, and the deal that one broadcaster got could well be different to that in a neighbouring territory. And even the deals done by tender process in one country could provide different outcomes.

For example, most of the broadcasting deals allow only for the races to be shown by the designated broadcaster. However, in the not too distant past, the UK's BBC's rights allowed it to sell on the programmes (live) to other certain countries. I do not believe that this right was granted to any of the other UK broadcasters, i.e. ITV, Channel 4 and SKY.

It may well be this "right" that is being discussed by NBC and ESPN. That they cannot sell it on to third parties.