View Single Post
Old 29 Nov 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1778059)   #39
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting to know you!

I'm Leighton and officially an old f*rt of 68.
Saw 1st race at Edenvale Ont. in 1952.
Drove a stock car at 16 in a practice session (on dirt) until the officials caught me.
Started Marshalling in 61. Ended about 63.
First race was in 61 at Greenacres in a MGA. Last race run at that track.
Did some rallying over the years as both driver and co-driver. Cars: VW Beetle, Corvair, Austin A55, MGB. Only the Austin was mine.
Raced 3 different MGB's, none of them mine. That was nice.
Instructed at Racing Drivers School of Canada at Mosport.
Bought and raced an Elva Mk6 Climax 1100. Held class 1150cc lap record at Mosport.
1967 5th under 2 litre and 9th overall in Cdn. championship.
Sold Elva in 69 (deeply in debt) and worked with Gary Magwood. Also instructed at CASC driving schools.
In 67 I gophered for Cooper at Mosport. Ron Dennis was the Jr. mechanic on Dick Attwood's car. I had snuck in so didn't have a pass until Roy Salvadori gave me one the morning of the race. There was a prelim race for sports cars but by invitation only. I didn't get one and was p*ssed off.
Sun. morning I got asked to go get my car! NO! I also got very strange looks as they saw my F1 pass. I always got invited after that.
Late 69 started crewing for Bruce Jensen FB Brabham BT16
70 BT21, 71 & 2 Chevron B17, 73 March 722, 74 March 74B 75/6 Chevron B29. New JV when he was knee high to a grasshopper and of course knew Gilles. Lots of interesting stories but no space.
Left BJ mid 76.
During this period I also worked as a Tech. Inspector at pro races at Mosport if it was a free weekend.
76/7 Director Cdn. Racing Drivers Assoc. and Race Sec. for the pro races including USAC Indy cars, Can Am and F1.
At this time also helped to build the P&G Mk7 cars and crewed for Bob French. 3/4 litre cars with Suzuki GT750 motors.
78 also started to crew for Judy Ferchat in Honda Civics.
78 with Judy and went back to BJ for a while. Ralt RT1. I installed the 1st skirts on a Ralt in NA and at Quebec City race had a long discussion with Ron Tauranac over my design. We agreed to disagree and I think he was right.
79 Judy bought a Xpit 3/4 litre car with a Honda CB750.
Mid 80's switched to a Suzuki GS 750 on methanol. Second in championship in 86 and 1st woman to win a race overall at Mosport
87 switched to Yamaha FZ750. I designed the engine sub frame and it was the 1st 3/4 litre car that the engine could be pulled without splitting the chassis. We also designed our own fuel injection system with the help of Kinsler FI Co. Judy built all the engines. I do not do engines. My expertice was suspension and areodynamics. Became a fairly good fabricator too. Failed shop in High School!
88 Judy retired that was the end of my racing life.
89 we got married and started our own companies. Seperated in 2000 but are good friends and still business partners. Own Rift Valley Pond and Garden and Fishing Tackle.
Follow F1, Champ Car and to lesser extent IRL and ALMS. Keep an eye on NASCAR and a World of Outlaws fan.
Get out to the odd race but the summer is our busy time.
Read a lot, both historical fiction and about motor racing especially the mechanical side. Only Magazine I read now is Vintage Race Car but have several favourite web site.
Used to write professionally for pet magazines about tropical fish before we closed our tropical fish business down.
That is it from the shores of Georgian Bay.