Old 14 Feb 2008, 01:33 (Ref:2128397)   #20
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents
Try to get to see one live - preferably the superspeedways such as Daytona or Talledega. It's unbelievable - 43 cars nose to tail, side by side, three wide thundering past only 6 or 7 feet from the front rows - the ground shakes. Go a few rows back and you can see the entire 2.5 mile circuit at Daytona and you are still half the distance away from the cars than you are on the Silverstone bankings. In this respect the Yanks have us well beaten in terms of presentation and spectacle and I only hope the 'Car of Tomorrow' doesn't spoil it all. It doesn't matter to me what nationality the drivers are - Dario, Montoya, Dale Jr - they can all handle a car and must have b***s of steel.
From what i've seen so far from Daytona the new car has led to closer racing in a style similar to the Truck races, which follows as it was the high drag nature of the trucks that Nascar was aiming at when designing the new car.

During the Bud Shootout one of the commentators noted in the second half that by that they were still running two wide where with the previous car they would have been single file.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna