View Single Post
Old 21 Nov 2009, 04:39 (Ref:2586198)   #14
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was heavily involved with the Nottingham Sports Car Club as a committee member and in 1976, we had a combined stand with Donington Park at the Donington Speed Show.

I built a Scalextric version of the track which was a huge drawcard, but during the construction phase, Tom wandered past, with some pithy comment about my construction techniques. "True Tom", I said, "but it will be up and running before yours..." He wandered off laughing.

Ronnie Peterson competed on 'my track'!

Then the NSCC ran the first post war car meeting at Donington, end May 1977. Needless to say, Tom was there beaming from ear to ear, revelling in the realisation of his dream.

A fantastic guy who fought the long battle to get the nation's best track reopened, despite dozy short sighted councils.

We all owe him a real debt and although I now live on the opposite side of the world, Donington is very dear to me and Tom's battles were not a lot different from the hassles experienced here in NZ, trying to get the new Hampton Downs circuit up and running. Fights with authorities that delayed it two expensive years.

I'll read the signed copy of his book, purchased from the museum in September soon, and I am sure it will be a favourite.

RiP Tom.