Old 3 Nov 2014, 08:20 (Ref:3471091)   #26
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
Well, but no. Both STW and BTCC from 95 used FIA homoligation, outside of that there were no techincal waviers as far as I know?

As you all say, both Peugeots in STW and BTCC where the same cars, with MSD being the customer team, and as always with customer teams, they get parts later, do less testing and so on, they will always be behind. And in that era of Supertouring if you were 3 months behind, you were 0.5 sec a lap behind.

On the other hand, if you look at Opel it was the factory team in Germany that built and ran the cars for STW, while in BTCC it was first RML and then from 97 Tripple-8 that built and ran the cars. So naturally here there were no customer team, and they both had great success. So two different things.

But looking at Audi, Richard Lloyd Racing ran the cars in BTCC, which at the time was a "customer team" but with close cooperation from Audi in Germany, still had great success, as did every other customer Audi team in the whole world. Same with BMW.

Teams building cars for respective championships could develop their own parts within the st regs. There was something on the suspension that was different between the cars in UK and Germany,some kind of multilink variation I think , I believe it was tested on the Uk cars but outlawed by the BTCC .

Ludo Lacroix (now 888 V8 tech boss in Aus) was the engineer that ran Aiello in STW and he followed him to Nissan in BTCC, a very clever engineer who helped unlock something in the STW 406 and took with him that suspension understanding to RML hence the Nissans form.

There wasnt any real controlled parts back then so the sky was the limit and Germany were probably spending 3 times the btcc budget.

For sure very interesting days from a technical point of view .