Thread: Driver Brendon Hartley in F1
View Single Post
Old 12 Nov 2017, 22:10 (Ref:3780100)   #105
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hartley might as well not even bother to show up for Abu Dhabi. Renault won't give them any new parts because apparently you can't manufacture them inside 2 weeks. Surely they could have done this a month ago but anyway, I think it's pretty clear Renault are trying to beat them in the constructors. FIA should hold them accountable. Fortunately Hulk only got a single point so Renault will need to have a pretty good finale to catch them. I hope it backfires.

Poor old Hartley another DNF. He had an okay start but had to dodge someone on the grid and then played it a bit safe into turn one so Gasly got by and also put a Sauber between them. Then Hartley's nemesis Stroll passes him on the straight meaning Hartley gets to sit behind Stroll for the entire race again. Admittedly he was never really close enough to attack and Stroll was slowly catching Gasly. They both were in the first stint after Gasly had built a bit of gap while Stroll/Hartley battled past Ericsson and Lew lew cost them time.

Then Stroll and Hartley pitted to put the softs on, Gasly later on the super softs. He was on track to be behind Hartley, but the kiwi lost quite a bit of time letting the leaders through which would have made it close. But in the end didn't matter, Hartley went out, Gasly was fast on the softer rubber and would have passed Hartley. He did pass Stroll and Wehrlein. I think the faster strategy was doing the longer first stint then having the softer tyres on low fuel so Hartley was always on the slower strategy. Hamilton showed how much better it was.

So I wouldn't say an improved performance from Hartley. Gasly was marginally better today, and he doesn't know the track, Hartley does. But you never know what the settings are, they might have been nursing Hartley's car.

I'm actually not minding that they're moving to Honda next year now! The parts on the TR's are going to catch up to the unreliability of the McLaren Honda's at this rate, because I'm sure the #28 will have more problems at Abu Dhabi.