Thread: WEC BR1 Dallara LMP1
View Single Post
Old 17 Nov 2017, 20:39 (Ref:3781103)   #49
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Hmmmm......I think dragonspeed are being incredibly brave with the gibson LMP1 engine.....ironically they won LMP2 at lemans a few years back with a turbo V6 Honda engine,there is no logical reasoning to link high revving NA engine to finishing and reliability.....does not add up for me, but none the less it will be interesting to compare with the AER unit in the same chassis. I dont expect the fuel consumption to be great.

The gibson 4.5 will need a direct injection conversion to be competitive, so thats new heads and pistons straight away, and a lot of development time, so to get all that ready and reliable for the start of the WEC season is already tight in terms of timing.
Actually aer p60 is a quite high rev engine despite being twin turbo.
In 2015-2016 in the back of rebellion, drivers shifted up close to 8000rpm.
Engine was however powerful and had a good fuel miliage overall (the usual stint window of about 40-45 minutes, can't remember if it was a 75L fuel tank or larger). If the power target will be raised up to 700hp, guess will be required a larger fuel tank.
Gibson, no matter if a updated old 4.5 or modified more recent 4.2, will need to rev up close if not over 10000rpm. Of coure could be required a larger fuel tank as well (or maybe not.... cadillac dpi this year started with a 75L fuel tank and received a 64L nerf.... but however kept the same fuel milliage for some unknwon reason).