Thread: List 1a tyres
View Single Post
Old 26 May 2006, 23:16 (Ref:1619865)   #7
MikeBz
Racer

MikeBz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners
And 1A can end up costing you money - as it did with me...
It certainly can, depending on the 'flavour of the month' tyre at the time. A few years back in the List 1A sprint/hilllclimb world, it quickly became that the only tyre to have was the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-02 (a snappy moniker if ever there wasn't one although I can't be sure I got all the words in the right order). These were more expensive than most grippier List 1B tyres to start with, and then on top of that (a) you had to pay for them to be buffed to get the best out of them, and (b) they were only available in 15" and upwards so if your nice lightweight Locaterfield was running on nice lightweight 13" rims then you had to find a pile of cash for some lightweight (yet still cumbersome) 15" rims to put your expensive list 1A tyres on in order to be competitive.

Nowadays the wheel has turned (groan) and the List 1A tyre of choice is the super-cheap Stunner (though still in 15" which is anathema to a light agile car) whilst in List 1B world you need the pricey and short-lived Avon ACB10 in A24 compound.

Plus ca change...

Mike