Thread: List 1a tyres
View Single Post
Old 29 May 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1622134)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have run my Camaros on list 1a Falkens and laterly one car on Dunlop Formula R's which are OK for the historic championship and a reasonable wear rate but limited in available sizes and the the other car on Kumho Medium compound. The wear rate on those is on the high side I would say I have done the equivalant of three races on them and I would say they have another two or three races maybe more if I swap them around. I personally prefer to run on the 1b's as I find them a lot more predicadable and less likely to launch me into the barriers at a moments notice than 1a's and just one of those excursions can cost an awful lot of tyres. I also found in the championship I was running on 1a's the guys were buying bigger and bigger rim/tyre combos to compensate for the lack of grip.

I think for the next set due to the weight of my car I will opt for the Kumho hard compounds as suggested by Graham Barr, these are the ones I believe the BMW championship specify and I think would give a reasonable wear rate and would probably last the race before going off as these did a little after 14 hard laps at Brands yesterday. The other advantage is they come in a great range of sizes including a low profile 16" tyre that suits my car fine.

PS: Another possible saving to consider is these 1b covers work well in the wet a hell of a lot better than 1a's which I found were virtually uncontrollable on my yanks when it started raining. In fact invairable I may just as well have pulled off. Both these Kumhos and the Dunlop R's I have now tried in the wet and they were not nearly so skitish so there may well be saving there for the clubman racer.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 29 May 2006 at 15:49.