Thread: IMSA: USCR 2018
View Single Post
Old 3 Mar 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3805519)   #1841
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I always hated the bop of fuel flow that made, for instance, the corvettes fill up faster than others while we were fed some bs about how great the corvette pit crew were to get it out ahead of where it came in, when it was actually because of fuel flow rates.

But, could this allow a team to short fill every stop to never do a full timed stop amd commit to an extra stop? Like if a prototype team ran 18 laps between stops rather than 22, could they bypass the timed full fill limit and try and gain time? I would guess this would better in a sprint race where it is close between 2 or 3 stops or a street race where you expect yellows and track position is paramount? Would this still allow for strategy?

Really though, separate refueling and tire changing to allow for pit crews to matter. Then you know every car is refueling for a set amount of time, fine, but performance of the team in pit stops matter again. And how do they not apply the rule to late race splashes? Would be nonsensical to apply it there, but seems like a team could claim they're doing a splash and go with the equivalent of 18 laps left on a 22 lap window, for example.