Thread: 10Ths Icon Getting to know you!
View Single Post
Old 14 Jul 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1656432)   #13
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn you all! I was about to go to bed and try and get over my jetlag when I saw this great thread. So:

I'm Paul. Turned 22 on the Sunday of the US GP, which I watched in a sports bar in New York (hence the jetlag. And sorry if it sounds like I'm bragging, but it's not every day I get to write something like that!).

Anyway. my Mum had a passing interest in F1 and I somehow got hooked in. I think the first footage of any race I ever saw was the European GP in '93, though I was only 8 at the time, so the memory is a little hazy. I remember following the '94 and '95 seasons fairly well, and then it really kicked off in '96. I've only missed one race since then - the '97 Belgian GP (I was in London at the time and I still long to this day to watch it in it's entirety!). Though I did fall asleep part way through the '04 Hungarian GP, but I'd happily argue with anyone who tried to suggest that there was anything better to do.

I've never really followed one driver in particular. Damon Hill of course at first, and I've always been happy to see British drivers win. I tend to support the underdog generally, so I was always happy to see Minardi and the like score points. Show me a fan who wasn't! Nowadays, however, (and I have stated this elsewhere) I can't help but be impressed by Fernando Alonso, and I would happily watch him win every race over the rest of this season. For some reason I just don't get bored of watching him.

Attended my first British GP in '04 when I went to Silverstone for all three days (on my own, it has to be said, and I probably had a better time for it to be honest). Went again in '05 and took my Mum and brother this time, and would have gone again this year except I went to see Bon Jovi in Milton Keynes. I think a foreign race is on the cards next; perhaps Canada or Australia (though I'm not sure I could tolerate the flying to be honest).

I've always follwed other motorsport, especially BTCC and WRC, though my levels of enthusiasm generally match the quality of TV coverage given to them. My love for WRC has diminished recently; I can't help but feel the sport has been sanitised a little too much. Bring back the Safari Rally!

Try and keep up to date with IRL/ChampCars etc, but generally proves to be difficult, especially with only four TV channels to pick from.

Since '97 I've bought F1 Racing magazine every month. I also buy the occasional Autosport, but I really do mean occasional, especially since getting broadband earlier this year. Which is also when I found Tenths, although the amount of time I can spend perusing its pages varies tremendously, hence I am something of an irregular contributor.

I have books and DVDs and season review videos, but no great numbers of anything in particular due to a combination of lack of space and a need to invest money elsewhere. Ain't that always the way?!

Oh, and then I became a marshal last year (because I figured it was as close as an armchair enthusiast was likely to get to the action), though again time limits the number of meetings I'm able to do. But it's great when I do get to do it.

So there we go. I love my motorsport, which probably suggests I'm in the right place!