View Single Post
Old 5 Jun 2016, 16:59 (Ref:3647452)   #40
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
As a Brit I'd say that the US tv coverage and commentary team are the single biggest thing holding the series back. But maybe I'm just not used to the US style of doing things. It just seems like they very rarely talk about the race, spend more time on advert breaks than not, have lots of dead air and spend half the time that isn't dead air plugging other tv shows.
This could be and is an interesting point. Certianly, coverage of sports can help and hinder the progress but I it's more of a household name in the series and relevance outside of the Indy 500 (and hideous looking cars).

I do think espn and others can miss the opportunities to promote shows and have commercial breaks at more opportunistic times. There's natural breaks in other sports and they simply use a stopwatch to time breaks in motor racing. We lose.

As for the on air talent, still think three is 1 too many in a booth. Call the race, talk strategy when applicable, go to the pits often and cover from the sharp end through mid pack. Add to the show and don't try to be the show. Not sure how it got so difficult.