View Single Post
Old 2 May 2007, 23:08 (Ref:1905438)   #69
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have also jusd found details of the Bonhams Auction at Gaydon, 29th June 2003 which included the museum's ex-display car listed at Lot Nº 57.

The above article is an independent post-auction review, which states...

...whilst the attractive Computervision Metro looked to be well prepared, but not well documented in the catalogue. I was pleased to see it went to the youngest bidder in the hall, not yet 14, so here’s hoping James Bradley will soon be enjoying its performance, even though it seemed at first sight rather expensive at £7000 after a character, who I am told was buying on behalf of the Japanese, kept upping the price. Apparently Tony Pond had used it on several events, but no-one really knew its history or if it was in reasonable condition with all the original parts.

The £7000 hammer price, ended up at £8050 once the Buyer's Premium and Sales Tax (VAT, TVA etc) had been added.

ABOVE : Multiple Metros at the BMIHT Auction
Left: a mock-up 6R4 for a spoof TV programme. Centre: the Computervision car with a patina of competitive aging. Right: the Project Pride car that achieved many long distance records with Rover staff.

ABOVE : Computervision Metro
Little info in the catalogue but subsequently found to be a well-engineered, successful car with Tony Pond as one of its drivers.