View Single Post
Old 13 Sep 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1406966)   #17
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
new developments. I did the tests with my multimeter. bear in mind that it is not very accurate so what matters is the relative result.

I connected the multimeter to the battery and got 13.5V. As I started the car it went down a bit and the climbed to 14.5 at idle speed. The odd thing was that when I accelerated it the voltage didn't change. The needle didn't even move one bit.No matter how fast the engine ran it kept on showing the same voltage.

then I did the stress test. Short circuited the fan to make it run at full speed, turned on the heater, the lights, the brakes and even the reverse light. The voltage went down to about 12.5-13V. As I turned the ignition nothing happened (as expected the starter motor didn't even start) but what was surprising was that the voltage, once again didn't change either. The accesories (appart from the fan and lights) went off as I turned the key but the voltage remained unchanged. As soon as I turned off the lights, released the brakes and the reverse (but kept the fan running) I started the engine and everything worked as usual.

Isn't that odd? Should the voltage remained unchanged? My multimeter is inaccurate but it is as sensitive as it should be when it comes to voltage changes.

But another thing happened today. My every day commute is through a road that's made on the side of the mountains (but it is paved with traffic lights, 2 lanes and such....like any normal road). That means that it has many uphill and downhill parts (not to mention many corners) although they are very short. No more than 300-500 meters long. that's why it never overheats, unlike long and constant uphill roads. Anyway, today I was going through the steepest part of the road (a 200-250m uphill part which is very steep....30° or a bit more perhaps) but there was a bit of a traffic jam so I climbed in first gear at 15-20kmph. As I was reaching the summit the water level warning light went on. The cooling system has a couple of minor leaks so I thought that perhaps I forgot to check it and it went dry. Although it seemed strange as I had just filled it up last weekend and the leaks are so small that I have to fill it up once every 3-4 weeks. I ended my trip and I didn't got the light during the rest of the trip. But when I went to check the water level it was full!! It hadn't lost a single drop of water. Came back and I didn't get the light again. What could this mean?

Let's see if we can finally crack this one